CONTRACT - Technical Architect - London - UNIX, Virtual Desktop, SQL Server - Public Sector
Contract role to support the effective interoperability of the organisation's system components across multiple towers, that enable their safe evolution and contribute to the development and review of an IT Strategy that meets the requirements of the organisation. This involves mapping developments required for new systems and infrastructure changes to ensure that the differently sourced components continue to work together seamlessly, across application, desktop, datacentre, and network towers. The architect needs to understand all aspects of each system, from both a business and technical point of view. This means having a full working knowledge of technologies such as UNIX, Virtual Desktops, SQL Server and TCP/IP for example.
The role involves liaising with people from different backgrounds, from management to designers and programmers in the IT department, to ensure the proposed developments meet the needs of the organisation and the people who'll be using it. The work includes:
- Identifying the organisation's needs
- Providing the initial triage for ICT proposals to ensure that the appropriate contractors are engaged, co-ordinate the production of and quality assure their proposals.
- Breaking down large scale projects into manageable chunks
- Working out which IT products to use based on cost benefit analysis and research, particularly whether 'off-the-shelf' products would be more suitable than building a new system
- Presenting plans to the organisation, agreeing how to carry them out, and helping them to build the proposed solutions
- Making sure that systems meet quality and security standards
- Developing and carry out testing procedures to make sure everything works properly
- Maintaining up-to-date knowledge of emerging technology trends and developments over a broad range of information and communications technologies seeking to identify where technology might be deployed in order to deliver business improvements
- Providing assurance for interoperability of new or changed ICT components, thereby assuring ICT service operation.
- To develop enterprise-wide technical architecture and processes which ensure that the strategic application of technology is embedded in the strategic and operational management of the organisation's infrastructure.
- Identify and respond to the key technical drivers and proposals for areas of business need which are not adequately supported by current and planned IT, within the strategic planning time frame.
- Contribute to developing the strategic response to the technical infrastructure, and produce high-level technical designs for recommended new applications of information and communications technologies.
- To maintain up-to-date knowledge of emerging technology trends and developments over a broad range of information and communications technologies in order to deliver business improvements and technical sustainability.
- Initiate investigation and development of innovative methods of exploiting IT assets, to the benefit of the organisation and the community.
- To contribute to the IT Strategic Planning function.
This role falls within IR35, so you must be willing and able to work through an umbrella. Please send your up to date CV for immediate consideration.